Special Education-Student Services
The Department of Special Education and Student Services supports its mission by:
- complying with the provisions of IDEA of 1997(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997) and the IDEIA of 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act of 2004)
- appropriately identifying students with disabilities based on federal and state criteria
- providing high quality, specialized instructional programs utilizing supplemental materials and research-based strategies
- facilitating a collaborative team among parents, staff, and students to build a positive learning environment
- promoting a strengths-based approach to build on
- supporting the development of knowledge and skills to prepare students to be college-bound and/or career ready in the following areas: academics; social/emotional; behavioral; communication; fine and gross motor; organization; transition goals; and functional life skills.
2019-2020 Private School Parent and Student Perspective Survey
As part of the new private school progress monitoring requirements, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) was charged with developing a survey to obtain information from parents of students with disabilities served in private schools for students with disabilities, as well as a survey to obtain information from the students’ perspective. These surveys have been shared with each of the private school administrators for dissemination. However, the VDOE is asking for your assistance in promoting the completion of the survey by each of your families who had a student enrolled in private school during the 2019-2020 school year. Unlike the Indicator 8 parent survey, there is not a “hard copy” version of these surveys that can be disseminated. Therefore, the VDOE asks that you, at minimum, post the availability of the online surveys on your school division’s webpage where you post information for parents. The VDOE will also be posting these surveys to its website and posting notification of their availability.
The online surveys are currently opened and will be available for completion at the following links until October 30, 2020:
Parent Survey ----- Private School Survey for Parent
Student Survey ---- Private School Perspective Survey for Student